Search This Blog

Monday 13 August 2012

Thinking about Me.....


I got this article from Prolific Living.com so decided to share today with others!

How to Get Out of a Rut Fast Show Notes

1. First, you need to ask yourself a series of questions to get clear on how you feel about your particular hobby or career. Listen to the podcast for these questions.
2. Then you need to identify if your hobby has run its course or if other priorities have come into your life that have made you take a conscious break from your hobby. I tell you what to do in each situation.
3. Next I bring up a quite unrelated root cause as to why you may be in a rut. This may seem unrelated at first but can dramatically increase the chances of throwing you off-balance and affecting everything in your life. Watch out for this one.
4. As to pushing past the over-thinking part, I talk to you about fears and anxieties that may be holding you back and while some are legitimate, why most of them are not going to be of consequence and how to push past them.
5. I give you my own practical tips to get out of a rut fast, including the idea to develop quick routines for movement.  Pay attention to this part as it can keep you in a rut for a long time.
6. Ask yourself why is it that you don’t start a new hobby or routine? The All-or-Nothing mindset kept me plagued for a long time and I know it does this to others too, but those who really succeed do not let this dilemma interfere with their plans. You shouldn’t either!

A Get to Know Yourself Mini-Guide:

1. Get to Know Your Personality: Maybe you are the type to take personality and assessment tests. Maybe you can just observe and listen and collect bits and pieces of the puzzle that will make the whole come clear for you. I prefer the latter but either way, get to know your personality inside out. Who are you behind your name? What are your characteristic traits? What image do you portray to the outside world? What is true nature as a person on a happy day, on a sad day, in face of a challenge or a great reward? How do you react to the world around you?
2. Get to Know Your Values: a list of their values.  The list of life’s core values all “sound good” but the question is which ones feed the flames of your fire? In your work, in your home, in all aspects of your life, which ones can you not compromise on? Is it honesty, integrity, security or flexibility? Is it dedication to others, wisdom and learning, financial comfort or fun? Do you value loyalty above excellence, responsibility above ambition, or innovation above improvement?
3. Get to Know Your Body: I used to think I know my body. How silly of me! The more I learn about my body now, the more it surprises and delights me, it amazes me. Yours can too. How well do you know your body, your breathing, your limits of balance and flexibility? Or have you wrongly decided that you “can’t do this” and that your body “type” won’t do that already and thus closed the door to wonderful possibilities? Have you taken enough time to become truly intimate with the loveliest temple on earth, your own body?
4. Get to Know your Moods: Your moods can be good and bad, harmful and delightful; don’t underestimate their subtle power. Get to know what frustrates you and what brings you peace. Understand what makes you react a certain way and how can you manage a poor mood at critical times in your life. Learn your best and worst moods and find ways to manage the poor ones and ways to enhance the good ones.
5. Get to Know your Likes and Dislikes:, what we like and equally important, what we do not like. Have you taken the time to define them just for you and not in a peer group with your friends and family? Defining your own likes and especially dislikes takes some guts. It is not “nice” to talk about our dislikes but it is far less nice to deny our true desires so choose wisely. If you do not like camping or traveling or visiting your friends in another state, don’t do it. If you love eating out or shopping online or learning Japanese or eating a raw food diet, stop making excuses to please others about your “guilty pleasures”. Stay true to your likes and dislikes.

 I have learned that…
… I can tolerate extreme physical pain for long periods but I cannot tolerate loud and obnoxious children even for five minutes.
… my body can become stronger as I become older.
… my body needs extremely hard workout routines to stay happy.
… my energy can increase as I age gracefully.
… I really do not care for the approval of everyone to pursue everything I want in life.
…  friends come and go no matter how much I invest in the friendships.
… I am very sensitive as a woman and it pains me to see how much some friends forget the huge favors I have done for them over the years.
… the more I travel, the closer I get to my ideal lifestyle.
… the older I get, the closer I grow to my childhood friends.
… my corporate dreams were lousy and so I set them aside.
… I can be in love with my own body and the better friends I make with that body, the happier I become in all aspects.
… giving up anything is possible when I set my mind to it.
… I have let fear stop me in the past from far too many opportunities.
… I am weak at confrontation and strong at negotiation.
… I like cuisines that seemed strange to me and dislike familiarity and routine.
… I can become a writer and even a photographer someday despite years of teaching and education training.
… certain people in this world frustrate – and even disgust – me so I no longer let them into my life, no matter what the grand reward of having the relationships.
… I value being true to myself above everything else.
… my moods are not a true reflection of me and I can learn to change them especially if they bring harm to my loved ones.
… what I believed at 16 still holds true: selfishness is a virtue and the root of all my happiness and path to my true compassion for others.
Getting to know yourself allows you to tap into the well of happiness beyond your imagination. Bliss even on cloudy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment